Monday, September 21, 2009

staph infection

We spent Labor Day at the hospital with Vera. She had what looked like a pimple on her leg that I saw on Friday on our way up to Nashville. I asked her if it hurt and she said no and we let it go and had a great weekend and Vera was fine. When we arrived home on Sunday she was in a large amount of pain and would not put any weight on her leg. After poking and prying at it we decided to give her some Motrin, Benadryl and mark the spot to see if it grew. She slept half the night with Clay and I and the other half with Grandma. When she woke up the sore was three times the size and she was in even more pain. We left Charlie with Grandma and headed up to the hospital. The doctors confirmed she had a staph infection and they needed to cut it open to get the infection out. After a dose of antibiotic and pain meds they drapped her up like a mummy and with two nurses and Clay and I cut my poor baby's leg up. The got the yucky stuff out and packed it sent us home with some pain meds and antibiotic. She was a sick little girl for a few days and than turned a corner and was our little Vera again! At the follow up appointment we got a thumbs up and instruction on how to keep it away. Thankfully we had lots of family in town to help us out and she got lots of attention! I was not in the mind set to take pictures so these camera phone shots will have to do. No one would want to see her poor leg anyway......



6 comments:

Ryan, Kim and Caroline said...

Poor baby! I'm so glad she's doing better!

Jason and Carrie said...

Your Mom gave me all the details... sounds horrible! So happy she is better now!!!

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

wow how scary! I'm so glad she's alright now! Poor little girl!!

Jess said...

Poor little girl! I am glad that she is better. Did they say how she got it? Well I am glad you guys caught it in time! talk to you soon!

Heather said...

Poor baby! Makes me so thankful for modern medicine.

Jessica said...

How awful! I have a few other friends kids get this same mrsa staph and it is nothing to fool around with. Glad to hear she is back to same ol self again.